Serves: 4 Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 1.5lbs (680g) small potatoes (gold, red-skinned or a mix)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp (30ml) Extra Virgin Oil Oil
- 1 tbsp (15ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Grainy Mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 shallot, peeled and diced
- 5-6 cornichons (or dill pickles), diced
- 1 tbsp (15ml) cornichon juice
Step 1: Slice the small potatoes in half, or in quarters if larger. Place them in a large pot and cover by 1 inch with water. Add 1 tbsp of salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes until you can easily poke a knife into the potatoes. Drain immediately into a colander/strainer and rinse under cold water. The potatoes should have cooled slightly, but still be warm to the touch.
Step 2 – In a large bowl, combine the EVOO, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk vigorously with a fork to blend and emulsify. Add Dijon mustard, grainy mustard, 3 tablespoons of the freshly chopped dill, the diced shallots, diced cornichons and cornichon juice. Toss to combine.
Step 3 – Add the potatoes to the bowl of vinaigrette. Toss gently to coat the potatoes evenly. If needed, season more to taste.
Serve warm or chilled, For serving, sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped dill.