- 2 tablespoons salted butter softened
- two slices of brioche bread
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 clove of garlic thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
Note: Add a tsp of mustard to the cream mixture for added flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
- Butter each piece of bread on both sides using one tablespoon for each.
- Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat then add the bread. Cook until toasted and golden, turn, then cook until golden on the other side. Repeat with the other slice of bread, then arrange the bread slices side by side in the pan.
- Add the cream to a small saucepan along with the garlic and bay leaf, then bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf. Pour two tablespoons of hot cream over each slice of bread.
- Carefully crack two eggs over each piece of bread, being very careful not to break the yolks. Pour the remaining cream over the eggs, then transfer to the centre rack of the oven.
- Bake until the whites are just set but the yolks are still runny about 13 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chives and more freshly ground pepper if desired. Serve immediately.